Friday, July 10, 2009

Hands Dirty and Spicy

I have a complete brown thumb. I once had a friend give me a plant that was 10 years old, had been through several moves and a car accident. I killed it promptly. The exception to that rule seems to be growing things I can eat. I have been pretty successful with herbs and for the first time I am branching out into the world of tomatoes and peppers.

I woke early this morning and unpackaged the upside down tomato grower I purchased a couple of months ago (when I should have planted my garden). It was just as easy as the commercials suggest. I didn't stop with tomatoes though. I planted the usual herbs; basil, cilantro, flat leaf parsely. I was so pleased with my work I went back to the store and added a couple of hot peppers, and an heirloom tomato. I know I planted way too late in the season but I am a person of faith. I can't wait to see the fruits of my labor.

Mom's Salsa Cruda

2-4 large tomatoes diced
1 jalapeno minced (for hot leave the seeds in)
2 cloves garlic minced
1 medium-large onion, chopped
1 bunch cilantro (about 1/4 cup)
salt and pepper
1 lime
Optional ingredients: Avocado, red, yellow, or green pepper, cucumber, let your imagination go wild.

Mix the tomato, jalapeno, garlic, onion, and cilantro in medium serving bowl. Squeeze the juice of one lime over, season with salt and pepper. Mix and cover. Let ii refrigerate for about an hour and serve with tortilla chips, or over steak, fish, etc.

1 comment:

  1. i kill all things I try to grow...of course i might would have better luck if I would remember to water them...good luck with your plants...

    ReplyDelete