Monday, July 6, 2009

Dare To Blog

Yesterday Gene and I were sitting at Borders, he was looking through stacks of books about bio-diesel, and I was copying down recipes from cookbooks and magazines I couldn't afford to buy. Gene looks up and me and says "you should blog about this".
"Blog about sitting at Borders?"
"No, blog about food."

At first I thought this a ridiculous notion. I have read other people's blog's. They are usually boring, and who wants to read my boring blog about food. I don't know enough about food to blog about it. I'm not a chef. I am not even a very accomplished home cook. Watching the Food Network, messing up recipes, and planning my vacations around eateries does not qualify me to write about food.

Then we got in the car to go to my house. He was full from lunch and prattling on about a hotel he stayed in that had an uninstalled toilet sitting in the middle of the room. All I could think about was what I was going to pull together for a snack when I got home. I was taking a mental inventory of my refrigerator and pantry. A bit of yellow pepper, a can of black beans, some chopped onion, cumin, wish I had a jalepeno.....mmmmm Hot Black Bean Salsa.

So here I am writing about food. Not just cooking, not just eating, all things FOOD. Food I try to make, food I try and love, try and hate, restaurants, discovered ingredients, eating healthy, TRYING to eat healthy, and loving food. So grab a fork and dig in!


1 comment: