Saturday, January 2, 2016

Three Kings Public House 1 of 12

The Three KingsThree Kings Public House

For the 3 of you that read this blog I've got something new for you.  This year I resolved to try 12 new restaurants this year.  They have to be local, no chains, and vacations or trips don't count.  I'll share my insights with you because it's what the people, all 3 of you, want.... my insights.

I thought I'd get the first one knocked out right away but it did seem as if 2016 was trying to rise against my goal setting, my new resolve to make resolutions, my presumption to be proactive.  Or, it might just have been the fact that places that are usually open late on New Year's Eve tend to be closed on New Year's Day.  Let me explain, no, there is too much, let me sum up (extra credit if you can name that film).

It seemed as if the food gods were aligned in my quest as Gene's new gig as a Postmates courier made him privy to all the hot late night dining spots and we were scheduled to work the Arch Reactor Booth at First Friday's.  Mission Taco was our...uh, mission.  Gene knew it was popular and it served super late.  We got out of the Science Center soon after 9 and headed to check off the first of 12.  Darkness.  That's what greeted us as we approached Mission Taco.  No problem, Gene knows all the hot spots.  Darkness. Darkness. Darkness.  It was now after 10 and our chances of getting any food at all were looking dismal.  In a last ditch effort Gene headed into the Loop in U City.  We drove down the strip looking for lights, any lights.  I wanted to check something off my list but hangry was taking hold fast, our relationship was in jeopardy.  We just needed food, any food.

There is was, 3 Kings Public House.  Gene had picked up deliveries from there, so we knew they served food.  Would it be good?  Did we care?  Would they be bitter about having to serve us a half an hour before their kitchen closed?

We were greeted by a pretty typical bar atmosphere.  Girls just a little too tipsy, guys throwing back shots and loud music I'd never heard before.  It looked tiny and we were sat in a cozy U booth and offered menus.... with FOOD on them, not bar food, the real kind they serve in the daytime.  Our waiter brought a bottle of water and asked what we wanted to drink.  This is where they decide we're evil for walking in here and daring to just want some food and no adult beverages....and on top of that I just wanted water.  I actually shrank back in my booth as I made excuses for only ordering water.

Not only did he not scoff at this but he gladly told us the food specials and recommendations.  He was friendly, efficient, affable, wasn't over bearing, and anticipated our needs.  Even brought me malted vinegar for the house made chips before I knew that's what I wanted.

I ordered the special of the day, their version of a Bahn Mi with marinated chicken, cucumbers, jalapeno peppers, and a chipotle mayo.  As someone not a fan of American sandwiches, this hit all the flavor buttons, and the texture buttons, and the satisfy me buttons.  All the buttons were hit.  I chose sweet potato fries as my side and house made chips as an appetizer.  The fries were waffle cut, crispy, and super yummy.  The house made chips are basically the only kind of chips I want to ever eat any more.  They had fresh herbs and some kind of seasoning that I'm pretty sure included some Parmesan cheese, and they were HOT. With the malted vinegar, I was in heaven.

Gene ordered the fish and chips and a side salad.  At first he was disappointed because he asked for ranch dressing and the dressing didn't look like ranch, but turned out it was just a homemade ranch dressing so it was missing that gloppy ranchy unpleasantness.  The greens were a spring mix and were super fresh along with the veg in the salad.  His fish was flaky, crispy, and thick!

Even though we were seated in the bar area there was a quieter room in the back with larger tables where a few families were dining. The entire place was wood planked and brick walled, and had old world touches that made you feel the building was there since prohibition. I didn't mind being in the bar area.  None of the patrons were being obnoxious and the juke box offered an interesting variety of music.  Our server even commented on the social experiment nature of having a juke box in a bar.  The double door at the entrance made it nice and warm inside, and the people watching made the U shaped booth both romantic and entertaining.  I got to lay my head on the shoulder of my love while watching the patrons greet each other like they obviously came here all the time.  Probably the best part was discovering the reason for the name.  Above the bar on the brick wall was a painting of the "3 Kings", Kong. Louie, and Elvis.  All the waiters and bar keeps had cool hair too.  Maybe that's not important to everyone, but it ads to the atmo'.

If you find yourself in the loop I'd certainly recommend this place to duck into.  Their regular menu is served until 11 and they offer a pretty hefty late night menu as well.  If the bar bothers you ask to be seated in the back, I doubt you'll get bad food or bad service no matter when you choose to go.  I'd say day one of my resolution hit a homer despite 2 strikes and a few foul balls.  I'll try not to use sports analogies anymore. 1 down 11 to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment